Saturday, July 24, 2010

I want to be a world chess champion

Kiran Manisha Mohanty became the first Oriya to become a Grandmaster after winning the Third Woman Grandmaster Norm in the Parachute Advanced International Chess Tournament held recently in Bangladesh.

Subrat Pati in a tete-a-tete with the chess grandmaster:

Q: Please share some memories of your childhood.
A: At the age of five, I started learning Odissi dance and at the age of eight, I completed my course in Odissi classical dance.

Q: When did you start playing chess?
A: At the age of nine, I started playing chess inspired by my parents. I took chess seriously at the age of 12.

Q: Which is your memorable tournament so far?
A: The National Women ‘A’-2007 is my most memorable tournament as I became the joint champion and also got my first WGM norm.

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Reading books and listening to good music.

Q: Which has been your toughest game so far?
A: A game with Soumya Swaminathan at the National Women 'A'-2009 held in Chennai. It was the last round and if I won the game I would get my 2nd WGM norm and my position would be third. So I was really tensed while playing the game. But my joy knew no bounds when I finally won the game.

Q: Who is your inspiration?
A: My father Sri Kishore Chandra Mohanty.

Q: How do you manage your studies?
A: I try to maintain a fine balance between chess and studies though it is difficult to manage both at the same time.

Q: What is your ambition in life?
A: To become a women world chess champion.

Q: If would not have been a chess player, which career would you have chosen?
Answer: I aspire to become an aeronautical engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment